Michael “Mike” Binyon is the Democrat running in House District 55. His opponents are George Hill (L) and John G. Mathis (R)(incumbent).
At the time of publication, Mike did not provide a website, Facebook page or Twitter account. He can be contacted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are Mike’s answers to my absurd questions:
1) How long have you lived in your district and what made you move there in the first place? Eleven years, retired here from SLC.
2) What does your family look like (married; kids; pets)? Married to Jean for 39 years, 3 kids, 8 grand kids, no pets.
3) What do you drive? What is your dream vehicle? 1999 Jeep grand Cherokee & 2003 Ford Focus. A 100 mile per gallon car.
4) What was the last book you finished? Game Change.
5) What is your favorite store and/or restaurant in your district? The Moab Brewery.
6) Turn your head to the right, what do you see? About 95% of the voters in Utah.
7) In 25 words or less, explain why you are a Democrat. I am concerned about the environment, decent wages and benefits for working people, good public education and equal rights for all people, Republicans as a party, are more interested in corporate welfare.
8) Who would win if a bear and a shark fought each other (feel free to explain)? They live in different habitats, so they wouldn’t fight.
9) In 50 words or less, explain why you want to be a public servant. I don’t, but no one else would run. I can’t think of anything more trying than spending January, February, and March in Salt Lake City with the current legislature, but someone has to give Democrats and Independents a choice this fall in District 55.
10) What was the last cultural event you went to? An Opera.
11) What are the three things you plan to fight for when elected? Better funding for Schools; The right for Public Employees to organize without the Legislature interfering; and protection of Public Lands
12) Do you know what OMGWTFBBQ stands for? O my God,what the F*** (after that I’m lost)
13) What is the most important amendment in the Bill of Rights? The 1st.
14) What is your favorite band? ?
15) If you could change one thing about your district, what would it be? The boundaries
To see other responses in the Meet the Candidates series, click here.
*Disclaimer – The opinions expressed in candidate responses are their own and do not necessarily reflect those of Blue in Red Zion or its author. Every candidate with a working email address has received these same questions and are welcome to respond. If you are a candidate and did not receive these questions, please email email@example.com in order to provide your own answers. The publication of a candidate’s questions should in no way be interpreted as an endorsement of said candidate.
Please note that readers are welcome to use the comment section to express their own opinion. As per the disclaimer on the right, comments will only be deleted if they can be widely viewed as offensive or not germane – though the final decision will be made by the administrator.